Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Challenged?

I felt better than I have in a long time last night.  I didn't feel whole or normal, just better. I faced a little bit of a challenge, performed, and felt actualized to an extent. This is worth noting here, considering my recent string of upsetting discussions.  I had a crappy week last week, and last night really helped me remember that something was wrong, and that relief exists.  Based on the hope I gained, I decided to call a mental health professional and seek treatment.

I have yet to make the call. I am embarrassed, and am struggling with my pride.  I suppose I just call the office and say I need to make an appointment. I suppose we will see.  I am hoping for courage and ability to look past my foolish arrogance.  I'm a psychology major, and yet I still am embarrassed to call and ask for help.  I imagine a combination of my own personal struggles with weakness, as well as a hesitance to go to the doctor in general (it's just a pain in the ass), contributes to this trepidation. I can't imagine what it must be like for those who haven't been brought up around psychology/talk therapy ideals/etc. 

I am looking forward to the challenge of doing something threatening like this.  Even calling and taking the steps towards getting help will require me to face issues I battle every day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment